February 1st 2022 marks the start of the Lunar New Year and this year is the year of the Tiger. To celebrate and honour this important tradition for many in our city, try checking out one of these 6 fun and culturally significant events.
1. Visit Vancouver’s incredible Chinese Garden
The absolutely stunning Dr Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden will be hosting some delightful cultural events to celebrate the 2022 Lunar New Year. Besides these fantastic virtual events, you can simply spend a nice afternoon admiring the stunning lanterns that adorn the garden, open 10am.
- January 29th 2022: Live Tiger Dance performance by Hon Hsing Athletic Club of Vancouver at 1pm
- January 29th 2022: Free songs and story telling virtual session held at 1pm
- January 30th 2022: Free virtual poetry session held at 1pm
- January 31st, February 7th, 14th, 21st 2022: Virtual yoga sessions each held at 9:30am
- February 5th-6th 2022: Live storytelling at 12pm and 2pm
- February 5th-6th 2022: Calligraphy demonstrations at 10:30am and 12:30pm on Saturday and 10:30am on Sunday
- February 5th 2022: City of Vancouver Opera performance at 4:30pm
2. Admire the We are Family Lantern City Installation beside the Vancouver Art Gallery
Starting January 27th, you can admire the gigantic lanterns that adorn the Šxʷƛ̓ənəq Xwtl’e7énḵ Square outside of the Vancouver Art Gallery. An incredible installation created by the Society of We Are Canadians Too features the creative designs of Taiwanese, South Asian and Canadian artists that are said to represent the artists’ communities and families.
Entitled, “We are Family”, this installation is also accompanied by music composed by artists Hui-Juan Lin and Chao-Ming Tung. Check it out for free!
3. Wander through the Lantern City’s other installation at Granville Island, Forever Young
The other event you shouldn’t miss is the Forever Young installation at Granville Island. This particular showcase focuses on the themes of wonder and playfulness of childhood that many of us associate with Granville Island. This installation also follows the same melodies as the one by the VAG, so be sure to tune in!
4. Follow along with Lunar Fest Vancouver’s fun events
- January 30th-February 15th 2022: West End Wishes at Cardero St and Robson. This installation by Tawianese artist, Lady Hao Hao, hopes to bring Fulfillment, Fortune, and Good into the New Year.
- February 1st 2022: Lunar Show Together, Forte! at the Orpheum at 7:30pm. Hosted by the Harmonia String Ensemble, this is a unique artistic experience to bring in the Lunar New Year.
The weekend of February 5-6th is also set to have plenty of events for community celebrations around Metro Vancouver so stay tuned.
5. Take your own culinary tour around Chinatown or Richmond
Both Richmond and Chinatown are home to a high density of wonderful restaurants with special deals with the Lunar New Year celebrations. Stay tuned for a line-up of our favourite restaurants and bakeries’ newest festive releases.
6. Explore the stunning Into the Light immersive experience in Richmond
From February 18th-20th 2022, you can experience the walk-through multi-media event, Into the Light in Richmond. Designed by artists Stephanie Won and Marina Szijato, this immersive experience takes you through illuminated lanterns, unique soundscapes and stunning visuals to feel a part of the ancient myths and traditional rituals of the Lunar New Year.
Stay tuned for other fantastic events to check out this February!